Monday, September 21, 2009

Enough To Drive You To Drinkin'

I had the brilliant idea to move my JustRidgebacks site over to Google sites this morning so I could save on the cost of keeping it at Tripod. On and off I moved page after page to the newly created site. After all, I have a couple of Google sites and I LOVE Blogger. What could be simpler?

After getting the pages over, I noticed the PayPal's codes weren't there, so I just signed into the site and using the HTML view, I put one in. Odd. The regular little button wasn't there. Instead there was some squarish looking thing labeled : Google Gadget whatchamacallit. I looked again at the HTML I put in - gobbledygook was there instead!!

I decided to risk looking through Google's "help" feature. This should more accurately be called "shortcut to cussin' and fussin" and should come with a warning label that it could easily drive you to drinking. It's that bad. Even if you find a question someone has posted that sounds like yours, sure enough, some geek has posted a short post saying "Just put in a Friggamagig and it will work." Of course, if we knew what a frigggamagig was, we wouldn't have to be asking about the frigging thing!

After the post, Google has a link that says "Was this helpful - yes or no". I do get some enjoyment of clicking NO. I just wish I could add comments, but knowing the state of my mind when I get to that point - it's best there not be comments.

To make a long, hair-pulling, wall-smashing story short, the upshot is that Google sites doesn't "support" PayPals form codes. For a company that wants to rule the internet, this is mind boggling. How the freaking hell did this happen? Blogger supports PayPal codes, why wouldn't Sites?

After all that work, I had to delete the whole shebang...all because I couldn't put the PayPal form code in so people could purchase the items.

I cognitated on this awhile and came up with a plausible conclusion.

Blogger - EASY, newbie friendly.
Sites - royally screwed up.

The only logical conclusion is that Google has geniuses and folks they should fire-but won't - working for them. The genius levels created Blogger. The dunces created Sites.

No comments: