Saturday, August 8, 2009

An "Eye" Full

I saw this pretty blue dragon fly land near me while out for a walk. I snapped it's photo. When I looked at it the first time in Photo Shop, I laughed - look at that face! Big brown double eyes, a "black button" nose and it appears to be smiling with white lips - I love it!

Later, I wandered out front to water the plants and saw this Buckeye butterfly... check out all those "eyes".

Then I saw this beauty.... I think it's the female version of an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail. I couldn't get a photo with it's wings open, but the side view is just as spectacular.

I followed it over to the zinnas and witnessed "the battle of the butterflies"! Another female showed up and wouldn't let the first one settle for very long on any of the flowers...



Unlike the first one, the second kept her wings open.... perhaps to seem bigger??

The second one finally crowds the first off the plant and followed it up over the house. I don't know if it was a battle for territory or what... I had no idea that butterflies even had territories.


Ya learn something new every day.....

No comments: