Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Blood Ties

Today, my cousin, Martha, and I got up early and tooled off up the road towards the family stompin' grounds - otherwise known as "up the country". That area is composed of Clarke and Marengo county where our ancestors have lived since the 1800s.

We have one aunt by marriage who is in an assisted living unit in a small town and that's where we met up with her daughter (another cousin) - Margaret, and her husband. After visiting with the aunt for awhile, we loaded up and went in search of food.At the restaurant, Margaret's sister, Nadine and her husband also caught up with us.

It was an enjoyable afternoon.... so good to see everyone! Lots of exclamations about how much you look like your mother..... you resemble the Ernest side of the family, etc, etc..... I did notice that they'd look at me and just smile.... Hmmm, I could just heard the thoughts about... where did you come from??? I don't mind, I know that I resemble my father's side of the family.... always did. :-)


We decided to do this again in about 2 months and see if we couldn't scare up a few more cousins to join us. (Did I forget to mention we are all first cousins? I think we once counted 19 first cousins in the family, although 2 died as children and one of the older cousins died last year - very unexpectedly. )

Most of us live in Alabama. One lives in Texas, two in NC and one in GA... The rest in the southern part of the state. We hope to catch up with them and get them to plan on coming.

All in all, it was fun... just the right amount of visiting time and everyone got home before dark.

No comments: