Saturday, May 15, 2010

Heartbroken

I'm the victim of an extortionist.

I'm expected to pay a $100 yearly - more if I want to advance. Chump change, really, for what they are blackmailing others in my field, but quite a bit for someone on Social Security and who hardly rates a blip on their radar.

What is being held in ransom, you ask? My years of experience in dogs. All my time, money, travel and learning knowledge about Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Beagles, Dachshunds, Whippets and Afghans. Compared to others, I don't do many breeds, but I have 40 years experience in RRs. I have judged Ridgeback specialties around the world, I am judging my own club's national for the second time this year.

Who is doing this dastardly thing? The American Kennel Club. They are going to require judges ( all conformation judges) pay them $50 a year PLUS $10 per breed for every breed we have been approved to judge. You don't pay, you don't judge ever again - anywhere. We dump all your knowledge so it can never be used again.

They don't even bother to call this a renewal fee. If it's a matter of funding the printing of the judge's directory, we all could pay $30-40 and it would be more than covered. By all, I mean the obedience, rally, agility, tracking and field judges, too. Their names have to be printed, too.

Is it because provisionals have to have AKC reps monitor them? Okay, but those same reps are still going to be at a show doing general things for the clubs and exhibitors at a conformation show. Shouldn't that be "pro-rated"? Other AKC judges, whether agility, field, etc, have to have an AKC rep present for their provisionals, so why are only the conformation people singled out?

We all got an email spinning out how AKC's bottom line is dwindling - EVERYONE's bottom line is dwindling, especially mine! Hello, just how much money do these people up there need? Most of them make way more than I ever did when I worked for the state government. As to making money judging - AHAHAHAHAHAHA! I will have judged twice this year, one being my national that I only charge expenses. I judged zero times last year. It's just not feasible money-wise to keep paying and hoping some club might ask me to judge a couple times a year.

Here's a thought - AKC, if your bottom line is falling: CUT YOUR COSTS in house, DON'T CUT YOUR THROAT ! Because that is what you are doing! Judges who decide to pay up will have to pass on the costs to clubs. Clubs, barely making it as is, will have to pass it on to exhibitors, who will have to think long and hard about paying more in entry fees to go to shows where the same people will be judging.

I foresee fewer judges for clubs to choose from for their panels. Some judges, knowing this, will charge even more money because they can get away with it and still be hired. Clubs won't be able to pass that much along to the dwindling number of exhibitors and will eventually give up. The AKC cash cow that is conformation shows will die. Remember AKC gets a cut of each entry fee that is already tacked on to show fees?

Pay attention AKC: If you want to get, and keep, more people in the sport, you have to cultivate them, not alienate them.

Try something novel - like dropping point schedules drastically. This would boost small club's entries dramatically. More dogs, more money for you from entry fees. So what if if there are more dogs making up to be champions? What does that cost AKC? Print in a book that is already being printed? A bit of paper with a title mailed out to the owner??

It's a sad day for the world of AKC dog shows. Will AKC see the error of it's ways? I don't know.

On the bright side is the fact that there are UKC shows - conformation, obedience and agility. There are NADAC, USDAA and ASCA agility trials and ASFA lure coursing for people like me and others to go and enjoy doing fun stuff with our dogs.

...and that's just what I'm going to do!

No comments: